Wed, Mar 29, 2017 

Peabody gets affordable home building grant..

mail this discussion to a friend..

Total = 13 messages   -   Pages: 1 2

[Peabody gets affordable home building grant..] - Posted: 26 August 2011 - 12:52 am GMT
erewhon

View user details & audio files
Main-user

Website?:  No link
File/Image?:  No file

Peabody was apparently successful in it's bid for affordable home building grant (2011 - 2015 programme), but how much will they get? If I understand it rightly, for London the grant per property is just over 28,000. Not the full cost - I guess they borrow the rest? Anyone know how many 'affordable' and supported housing units Peabody will build, and how many for actual social rent?

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Peabody gets affordable home building grant..] - Posted: 26 August 2011 - 01:08 am GMT
erewhon

Main-user

From Chartered Institute of Housing:

"Affordable Rent will be the primary housing product supported by HCA funding. Providers will be expected to supplement grant funding by converting vacant social homes into other tenures, generating cross subsidy, and using s106 and public sector land opportunities. It is intended that Affordable Rent properties will be offered to the same client groups as social housing, through the same allocation mechanisms."

Expect more voids to become market rental flats, to help fund building more 'affordable' homes that are not affordable for people on low incomes?

Will Peabody be building more new social rent homes than it loses by converting to market rent?

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Peabody gets affordable home building grant..] - Posted: 26 August 2011 - 12:26 pm GMT
tenant

Big-user

Website?:  Link

it's all academic because nobody on any of these schemes builds "affordable homes" in London at least and i suspect elsewhere it is the same. They arent "affordable" by anyone on a regular income.

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Peabody gets affordable home building grant..] - Posted: 27 August 2011 - 01:17 pm GMT
stella

Prime-user

Erewhone, go on, have a guess at the answer to your question! This is the issue that brought me (gratefully) to this forum in the first place...

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Peabody gets affordable home building grant..] - Posted: 27 August 2011 - 05:02 pm GMT
tenant

Big-user

well apparently the Peabody are not even a "Trust" any more, they quietly changed their org' to being something else.. no longer a trust anyway so the word goes.

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Peabody gets affordable home building grant..] - Posted: 06 September 2011 - 09:14 pm GMT
stella

Prime-user

I dear that Erewhone's right about 'affordable homes' and Peabody selling properties.

Today, I had a leaflet from Peabody about providing our flats with solar panels! I haven't read it yet, but I think ha! simple repairs are a struggle to get, yet we can have digital tele, solar panels, etc etc. I think each time, 'they aren't doing this for the like of us.'

We don't even get tenant conferences any more. I can see seriously rich people buying these flats and then letting them to people who can afford to pay the kind of rent that flats round here usually charge.
Meanwhile, 5 million are waiting for a decent place to live!
We're to have no NHS as of right (No 1 on the agenda is getting rid of the law that says the NHS MUST EXIST!
all kinds of organisations that work to protect ordinary working people from the rich minority are going out the window...

We can have WAGE CUTS OR NO JOBS AT ALL, price rises all round, and the English Defence League's waiting round the corner!

All I can say is, the rulers think they've seen riots! As Bette Davis famously said, Fasten your seat belts, it'd gonna be a bumpy ride....

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Peabody gets affordable home building grant..] - Posted: 08 September 2011 - 02:28 pm GMT
tenant

Big-user

stella wrote:

I dear that Erewhones right about affordable homes and Peabody selling properties.

Today, I had a leaflet from Peabody about providing our flats with solar panels! I havent read it yet, but I think ha! simple repairs are a struggle to get, yet we can have digital tele, solar panels, etc etc. I think each time, they arent doing this for the like of us.

We dont even get tenant conferences any more. I can see seriously rich people buying these flats and then letting them to people who can afford to pay the kind of rent that flats round here usually charge.
Were to have no NHS as of right (No 1 on the agenda is getting rid of the law that says the NHS MUST EXIST!
all kinds of organisations that work to protect ordinary working people from the rich minority are going out the window...

We can have WAGE CUTS OR NO JOBS AT ALL, price rises all round, and the English Defence Leagues waiting round the corner!

All I can say is, the rulers think theyve seen riots! As Bette Davis famously said, Fasten your seat belts, itd gonna be a bumpy ride....

the answer is that i bet they get an EU funding grant for each solar panel fitted

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Peabody gets affordable home building grant..] - Posted: 19 September 2011 - 03:57 am GMT
stella

Prime-user

Tenant, I'm preapred to bet you're right!

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Peabody gets affordable home building grant..] - Posted: 31 October 2014 - 11:26 am GMT   /   Edited: 01 November 2014 - 08:00 am GMT
SylvesterSimien

New-user

stella wrote:

I dear that Erewhones right about affordable homes and Peabody selling properties.

Today, I had a leaflet from Peabody about providing our flats with solar panels! I havent read it yet, but I think ha! simple repairs are a struggle to get, yet we can have digital tele, solar power systems, etc etc. I think each time, they arent doing this for the like of us.

We dont even get tenant conferences any more. I can see seriously rich people buying these flats and then letting them to people who can afford to pay the kind of rent that flats round here usually charge.
Were to have no NHS as of right (No 1 on the agenda is getting rid of the law that says the NHS MUST EXIST!

We can have WAGE CUTS OR NO JOBS AT ALL, price rises all round, and the English Defence Leagues waiting round the corner!

All I can say is, the rulers think theyve seen riots! As Bette Davis famously said, Fasten your seat belts, itd gonna be a bumpy ride...

Yes getting a property is bumpy ride..Prices are getting lower or higher so it is tough time to make investment in properties..

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Peabody gets affordable home building grant..] - Posted: 08 November 2014 - 12:22 pm GMT   /   Edited: 08 November 2014 - 12:24 pm GMT
Spectralis

New-user

On the Whitecross St Estate, Peabody are building "fill-in" homes which are going to be predominately market rents. This means increasing an already over crowded and expensive area at the expense of social housing tenants. The excuse for this is that house prices in the area have increased over the past decade so it's "appropriate" for Peabody to charge similar rents. A one bed flat in the nearby Barbican Centre now costs 900,000 to buy so you can see why greed is motivating many social landlords in London. This strategy will only lead to further gentrification and social cleansing of our area.

As social housing tenants we need to unite together to support each other and build a London wide campaign against rent increases and for more social housing. Any ideas?

[back to forum][quote]

Total = 13 messages   -   Pages: 1 2

Reply to Thread

You are not Registered or not Logged-in - You must register to use the forum.

Wanna join up? - Click here  to Signup or Login !!

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

[About Peabody Tenants]   [Contact us]   [Privacy Policy]