Wed, Mar 29, 2017 

Rent Levels Letter

mail this discussion to a friend..

Total = 6 messages   -   Viewing all 6 messages   -   View by pages of 10:  1

[Rent Levels Letter] - Posted: 16 October 2014 - 04:43 pm GMT   /   Edited: 16 October 2014 - 05:21 pm GMT
Nik Wood

View user details & audio files
New-user

Website?:  No link
File/Image?:  No file

Again, If I've done this right this link should take you to the Guardian's letters page for 9 October. Scroll down to the end and you'll find a letter from the Chairs of the Ex-Crown Estate TAs

www.theguardian.com/society/2014/oct/08/housing-policy-failures-garden-cities-affordable-rents

• Unfortunately, it’s not only Boris Johnson who thinks four-figure monthly rents are “affordable”. Peabody, a charity whose founding purpose is to “ameliorate the condition of the poor and needy” in London, is also advertising homes on the key-worker estates it bought from the crown estate in 2011 at “affordable” rents that no key worker can afford. Effective campaigning by tenants prevented some 1,500 homes falling into the hands of private developers and secured a promise from Peabody’s chief executive, Steve Howlett, that he was “absolutely committed to keeping these homes affordable”. In fact a “market valuation” was immediately undertaken and rents then pegged at 60%-80% of these absurd levels, resulting in tenants seeing increases of up to 36% over three years while their wages remain static and living costs rise.

With a two-bedroom flat now costing up to £1,470 a month in rent, vacant homes are remaining empty and unlet for months while nurses, firefighters and teachers, as well as pensioners, are being quietly but inexorably priced out of their homes and boroughs. Residents’ representatives are now seeing cases of working families cutting back on essentials, or having to visit food banks, in order to pay the rents charged by this apparently philanthropic organisation. We call upon Peabody, which recently reported a £291m surplus, to scrap this ludicrous rent model and honour its commitments to us and to its founding principles. Readers can sign our petition at tinyurl.com/nb7oum5
Joannie Andrews, Julie Bragagnini, Madeleine Davis, Terry Harper
Chairs of the former crown estate residents’ associations

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Rent Levels Letter] - Posted: 16 October 2014 - 07:42 pm GMT
tenant

Big-user

Website?:  Link

We tried to warn Crown estate tenants before the deal was done to become part of Peabody, but I suppose you guys had no say in the matter anyway.

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Rent Levels Letter] - Posted: 26 October 2014 - 11:13 pm GMT
erewhon

Main-user

Would the petition get more widespread coverage using Change.org?

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Rent Levels Letter] - Posted: 20 December 2014 - 02:13 pm GMT
adorno

Main-user

I think all of us need to take a leaf out of the New Era tenants' book and demand a moratorium on rent increases. I anticipate a massive increase in rents in February/March. When I first moved here, my rent increased by around 40p to 60p per year. These days, it's increased by £8 to £12. Peabody doesn't seem too concerned that people are struggling to make ends meet. It's time for this to stop. It's time to fight back.

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Rent Levels Letter] - Posted: 31 January 2015 - 07:39 pm GMT
erewhon

Main-user

Hope Peabody will not want to take this route, applying for permission to put rents up more than the 2.2% the government formula permits for rent rises:

UK first as housing association granted 'rent waiver'

http://www.24dash.com/news/housing/2015-01-30-UK-first-as-housing-association-granted-rent-waiver

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Rent Levels Letter] - Posted: 02 February 2015 - 01:59 pm GMT
adorno

Main-user

I suspect much of the rent increases are top-loaded with service charges, which are unregulated. It's a cynical trick but no less typical of Peabody's thinking.

[back to forum][quote]

Total = 6 messages   -   Viewing all 6 messages   -   View by pages of 10:  1

Reply to Thread

You are not Registered or not Logged-in - You must register to use the forum.

Wanna join up? - Click here  to Signup or Login !!

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

[About Peabody Tenants]   [Contact us]   [Privacy Policy]