Wed, Mar 29, 2017 

Is there any way to have an impact on my estate?

mail this discussion to a friend..

Total = 4 messages   -   Viewing all 4 messages   -   View by pages of 10:  1

[Is there any way to have an impact on my estate?] - Posted: 03 November 2015 - 12:04 pm GMT
hackney_tenant

View user details & audio files
New-user

Website?:  No link
File/Image?:  No file

I'd love to contribute to my estate and have an impact here. There's lots of small things that would
make it nicer, and some larger things around safety and building repair.

Is there any way to actually have an impact?

The official channels seem to have no real power. They seem to just be for Peabody's PR, so they
can claim they consulted residents, while they do whatever they were going to do anyway.
Perhaps they have some minor influence but nothing substantial. Is that a fair assessment, or
have others been able to drive real change through them?

How about other channels? Are there successful resident groups in any Peabody estates? How
were they set up, and what have they managed to achieve?

I am so torn as I'd love to be involved, but I don't want to waste a year jumping through Peabody's
silly hoops and not getting any results.

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Is there any way to have an impact on my estate?] - Posted: 07 November 2015 - 08:52 pm GMT
Jenny

Regular-user

I was on the committee of our Residents Association at Lumley for some years. The amount of stuff you can get done on your estate depends mainly on your neighbourhood manager. There are some things here that didn't get done, no matter how many times I asked, and I just gave up in the end, and they still haven't been done.

If you'd like to get large, cosmetic things done on your estate you could apply for an Estate Controlled Environmental Budget Grant - or I may have got the name wrong because it does change from time to time. If you phone Peabody I reckon they could get the application forms sent to you.

One of the reasons I gave up with the Residents Association was the control that Peabody now want over this organisation - I like doing things for my neighbours but I am sure as hell not going to do voluntary work for Peabody. You will need to go through head office to find out about starting an RA. Our RA at Lumley is now reduced to a Monitoring Group.

If you do manage to form a Monitoring Group or a Residents Association don't expect many of your neighbours to show any interest!! Good luck with it.

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Is there any way to have an impact on my estate?] - Posted: 04 December 2015 - 09:55 pm GMT
Nik Wood

New-user

Where are you? We on Victoria Park seem to have a quite flattering reputation at Peabody HQ for getting up their noses. We have links to Pembury. If you are elsewhere, do let me know and we'll see what we can do to help.

There is a lot of upset among the existing formal, official tenants' representative system at Peabody trying to make it (even) less representative and accountable to the people it represents.

Nik Wood

[back to forum][quote]
  [RE: Is there any way to have an impact on my estate?] - Posted: 06 December 2015 - 10:13 pm GMT
hackney_tenant

New-user

Thanks Jenny, Nik,

I don't have the motivation to set up a group but would be interested in joining an existing one that was already doing things.

Peabody invited me to apply to join some kind of resident group a while ago, but when I looked into it I wasn't confident the group would have any real power or impact. Hence wondering what other options might be out there.

I'd rather not say which estate I'm living in on this forum, but thank you for offering to help me.

[back to forum][quote]

Total = 4 messages   -   Viewing all 4 messages   -   View by pages of 10:  1

Reply to Thread

You are not Registered or not Logged-in - You must register to use the forum.

Wanna join up? - Click here  to Signup or Login !!

[you'll be brought right back to this point after signing up]

Back to Forum

[About Peabody Tenants]   [Contact us]   [Privacy Policy]